What is anal furunculosis? Anal furunculosis is a chronic, progressive inflammatory disease of dogs that results in ulceration and inflammation in the area surrounding the anus.
What animals are affected? Anal furunculosis occurs most commonly in middle aged or old aged German Shepherd Dogs, although other breeds can be affected. (Yes I have seen it in a Clumber)
What are the clinical signs?
- Pain, particularly whilst passing faeces
- Foul odour associated with the perineum (the area between the anus and the genitals)
- Matting of fur of the perineum with discharge
- Red and sore-looking skin in the area of the anal ring
- Ulceration, potentially becoming extensive
- Draining sinuses in the perineum